This cake is traditionally seen during the holidays and during weddings. Almost every West Indian wedding would have this delicious cake wrapped in a small favor box and served to guests duing the reception. One bite is all you need to taste the fruits and lets not forget the alcohol!
I have never made black cake most likely because it seems intimidating. But it is really easy to make once you follow these steps. It is very similar to fruit cake except there is a lot of alcohol !
- 4 cups flour
- ¾ cup brown sugar for cake + 2 cups for making carmel color
- 1 pound unsalted butter (4 sticks)
- 1 dozen eggs
- ¼ lb of candied cuitrus peel
- 1 pound rasins (3 cups)
- 1 pound currants (3 cups)
- 1 pound prunes (2 cups)
- 2 cup red wine for soaking fruits
- 2 cups red wine to add to cake
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 3 tbsp carmel color ( or burnt sugar)
- In a food processor grind the dried fruits and candied peels.
- Soak with 2 cups of red wine and place in an air tight container. Let it soak for more than 2 weeks or as long as possible
The hard and dangerous way, but flavorful
Heat 2 cups of sugar in a heavy bottomed frying pan until melted. Simmer until dark brown. Let cool
The easy way
- 3 tbsp carmel color (more or less to color cake)
- Preheat oven to 300 °F
- Grease and flour cake pans (about 4 – 9 inch round).
- Beat sugar and butter together until it is soft
- Add eggs one at a time and blend into butter mixture
- Add fruit and liquor mixure. Mixed well
- Sift flour and baking powder together. Then add to the fruit, eggs, sugar mixture
- Add vanilla, burnt sugar ( or carmel color) and spices. Continue to thoroughly mix to a soft dropping consistency
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake in a 250 degree oven for 2 hours
- Slowly add the 2 cups of wine over cake after 1 hour of baking
- Allow cake to remain in pan for 2 to 3 days to set and absorb the alcohol. The bitterness of the alcohol will evaporate over time and the sweetness will emerge throughout the cake the longer you let soak. If you want you can add more wine to make it more moist or simply just because you want to